Sunday, March 8, 2009

Personal Reflection on PTSD


I had a dream one day and I knew then I wanted to be a psychologist. I remember a group of people being in a large room and we all were socializing but I knew the meaning of the dream. Reason being, I asked guidance on what I would study in college. Sure enough a couple of nights later, I had a dream and it was all confirmed.





In reality I do enjoy helping people and I lend my ear to any one someone comes to me and wants to talk, young or old. It amazed me at one while how people would just talk to me and open up about what’s going on in their life. It really got to me when adults would talk to me and I would feel comfortable and they would as well. I want to do something that I’m going to enjoy and counseling is just right for me. I wouldn’t want people to hold things within like I did, if I could help and they would like help or just someone to lean on, I would do so.





I feel that if you carry so much baggage (past hurts, hurtful relationships, etc.) it turns into a chronic illness and after a while the body gives out! The hurt in people past doesn’t help their future at all. It really demolishes the inside of a person and it’s not healthy. I also chose PTSD for a subject because I always wanted to know how survivors of 9/11 feel or how they feel after a tragedy such as 9/11. The events on 9/11 left many beyond startled!!



I’ve heard how 9/11 has left many people traumatized and left without a decent frame of mind. People were scared to come out of their homes at one time. I would like to deal with the kind of people that need and wants to talk. I want them to overcome what seems like a mountain, that’s what too hard to climb. In other words, I want to be the one that will reassure them.

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn,

    Excellent choice of topic. With so many soldiers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, this is going to have an even bigger impact on people as time goes on. You have an interesting story about how you came to study psychology and that makes me want to read more about what your research will teach you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete